WordPress Problem: No Comments for Non-Members

Repost This

Okay, please don’t laugh at me, or tell me to post in WordPress Support. I have already posted it there, twice.

So, my blog www.phoenixrealm.com is not taking any comments except those from logged in users. The option for that is not checked, so I don’t know whats going on. I upgraded from 2.0.2 to 2.0.4 to try to fix it, but that did not happen. No errors, no settings that look like they need to be changed. Turned off Akismet to see if that’d fix it…no luck. No other comment moderation plugins or systems. Help!?

Oddly it redirects to http://www.phoenixrealm.com/wp-comments-post.php and shows the front page, when the user is not logged in and comments. While logged in commentor is brought back to the correct page.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Here are the steps I have taken so far:
Realize comments work for me when I am logged in, but not when I am logged out.
Checked WordPress settings.
-Users must be registered and logged in to comment is unchecked
-Discussion Options Page looks correct
Turned off Akismet
Upgraded WP from 2.0.2 to 2.0.4
Tried using another theme (the default theme)

Repost This

Categories: WordPress News

Comments

1. Nick says: 9/26/2006

Did you update your rewrite rules if you don’t have it set for automatic updating? When I try to go to wp-comments-post.php at my site it redirects to my homepage and on yours it doesn’t.

2. David ) says: 9/26/2006

Actually…yours wp-comments-post.php does not auto-redirect to your homepage for me… The .htacess is perfect, and the rewrite rules look fine.

3. Nick says: 9/26/2006

Ah, I still had the www in the url when I tested.

4. Michele ) says: 9/27/2006

Have you tried checking the apache logs?
    They should tell you what is going on that is causing the issue…

5. war59312 says: 9/27/2006

See what happens if you disable all plugins?

Just move all files in the plugins directory to another directory. You can move them back and they will re-enable, so no need to have to re-enable all of them afterwords.

My bet its a plugin since you said you get the same behavior even on other themes, so its not theme files.

6. war59312 says: 9/27/2006

You can clearly see:

Um also if you just use a single comments for all themes it could be an issue in there. So search your comments.php file for wp-comments-post.php and try commenting it out and see what happens.

7. war59312 says: 9/27/2006

Um, wrapped in in code tags which you say i cna use but as you can see it was not posted. :(

8. David ) says: 9/29/2006

Hey war, looks like everything is back to normal…dunno how or why it happened. But comments appear to be working. Thanks for all your great advice though. Your advice is many of the steps that I took. :)

Thanks everyone for your help. The support train was a little slow this time around, but when WordPress folks start helping…its amazing.

9. Lorelle says: 9/29/2006

Well, that was my suggestion, so I’m glad someone beat me to it. Though David, I’m seeing pretty obvious comment spam comments in your sidebar. That’s pretty odd stuff. Did you forget to move back your comment spam fighting stuff? ;-)

10. cesar says: 10/3/2006

try erasing your wodpress cache

11. war59312 says: 10/7/2006

Well glad you figured it out! :)