Wall Street Journal is AntiBlog

Steve Rubel pointed out an article that the Wall Street Journal has put up that has a strong negative opinion of blogs.

The blogs are not as significant as their self-endeared curators would like to think. Journalism requires journalists, who are at least fitfully confronting the digital age. The bloggers, for their part, produce minimal reportage. Instead, they ride along with the MSM like remora fish on the bellies of sharks, picking at the scraps.

Pretty harsh don’t you think? I guess time will tell though. Steve suggests we drop newspapers like the Wall Street Journal (if you haven’t already), and continue to feature the great voices of the blogosphere, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Categories: Blogging News

Comments

1. Pat Ramsey says: 12/20/2006

I’d ratchet it back just a bit. While the WSJ ran that screed by an “assistant editorial features editor,” it’s just that, one piece. I’d say the WSJ, with James Taranto’s blog-like “Best of the Web,” isn’t anti-blog.

Calling for a mass-”drop” of the paper over this one piece is playing into the mindset that piece portrays us as having.

2. David ) says: 12/20/2006

Well, actually this is not the first time, if my memory serves me, that somewhere within the WSJ there was anti-blog or anti-blogging comments published.

I’d also like to think that having people go ahead and talk about their favourite blogs would be much better than worrying too much about what one newspaper does. :)

I agree with your criticism though…the title might be a bit strong for what really is being said and by whom.

3. teddY says: 12/20/2006

I do not want to get sued for harrassment but whoever who wrote that article should be extra careful when he hit the streets since he’ve just increased his chance of dying from an assassination by 100000000 times.

There are several journalists in my country (called Singapore) who are against blogging to and they got gunned down by online bloggers in many forums.

They fail to realise that bloggers provide on the spot coverage which many news even like BBC can’t do. Many of the images of the Indian Ocean Tsunami Disaster and etc are posted on blogs before news agencies actually purchase them. Bloggers even have a great influence on political decisions and etc.

4. doug says: 12/21/2006

Calling for a mass-’drop’ of the paper over this one piece is playing into the mindset that piece portrays us as having.

Yup.

5. Fath says: 12/21/2006

Hi there. I wonder if I can get this theme (the one u using) as my WordPress theme?

6. Shane says: 12/21/2006

There are blogs with great content and some with not so great content. Just like the msm. No big deal. Both mediums like to stir up a little controversy once in a while to rally the troops. That’s all the WSJ is doing. Again, no big deal.

My only question would be … what’s a newspaper? :)

7. Charles Stricklin says: 12/22/2006

Well, what do you expect them to say?

I liken it back to the days when movie producers felt threatened by this upstart technology ‘Television’ and put on a good face, saying bad things about T.V. while boasting about the theater experience being better, etc. In the long run, they ended up complimenting and augmenting one another, instead of competing.

Eventually, media companies will learn the same thing about DRM, and some papers will learn to co-exist, if not cooperate, with blogs.

And let’s face it: some bloggers do have an over-inflated view of themselves. :)

8. Sid05 says: 12/22/2006

I’ m happy to find this kind of discussion in USA (i’ m italian where the traditional media dont know what a blog is); i’ m waiting that your (american) web community starting this kind of dialogue because (IMHO) around this node it’ s the future of the media in general…

best regards from Lucca (and sorry for my english)

9. Bárbara says: 12/22/2006

Hey, great site!

I need help. Do you now how to import posts of wordpress to movable type?

Thanks!

10. Richie says: 12/27/2006

I agree with Charles Strickland above–I believe that investigative journalism is not something that blogs tend to do well.

However, it’s not something that even the main newspapers are doing well these days.

One of my contacts in a local newspaper bemoans the fact that young journalists are not trained well enough to get past a lot of the fluff that the PR industry is generating. Case in point the pharmaceutical industry which loves to generate hype about flu scares every year to boost product sales.

Blogs do have their place though, and it certainly means that people have more choice when it comes to consuming news information.

11. Brian Layman says: 12/27/2006

Hey – As long as the WSJ keeps hosting all of its blogs ( http://blogs.wsj.com/ ) with WordPress, I say Steve can talk all he wants! After all, each of us needs a good rant now and then. And after all Steve’s rants are limited in circulation and get tossed cans by the end of the day while ours stay around forever and ever. So who can blame him for being a bit bitter? Eh?

12. Crazy Chris says: 12/28/2006

BWAHAHAHAHA – The WSJ is just getting scared because they know that bloggers are gaining, rather have gained much of their audience here online.

But isn’t this a petty “blogger like” tactic to get some publicity so they don’t loose all of their readers and create a stir.

Pure comedy if you ask me…next thing we’ll see is a whole WSJ section for bloggers. Remember the New York Times has about 23 or 24 last time I checked.

Wankers~

13. Drake says: 12/31/2006

Well it’s obvious that the WSJ writer is threatened by the massive amount of bloggers who successfully report the news. They are probably against blogging because their job is so similar to blogging except that only real bloggers don’t spend hours with a thesaurus trying to use words that no one can pronounce to make themselves feel smarter. If I had to spend as much time in school to be a reporter making $40,000 a year, I’d be pissed off as well when a dropout started a blog that makes the same amount in a month with the help of dedication. It’s just a case of jealousy if you ask me.

14. aydin-aydin says: 9/18/2008

Patent, Marka Patent, Patent Ofisi, Patent Dirsek, Patent Office, Patent Tescil, Patent Burosu, www patent, Patent com, Patent Ofisim, Patent Tescili, marka patent tescil, patent alma, turk patent, tasarim tescili, tescil belgesi, tasarim tescil, marka tescil, marka tescil belgesi, marka tescili

15. mikeyaozm says: 9/20/2009