What the iPhone Means for Bloggers

Did you see the iPhone? Did you!? Well, if you read any blogs, you might have seen the story at least once. I subscribe to hundreds of blogs, and so I really couldn’t escape from the story. Everywhere I turned around, there was another post on the iPhone, and everyone has their opinion.

Some are blown away by the device, like I was, and others are being more practical, but what it all boils down to is that certain stories are very pervasive in the blogosphere.

It really makes me wonder how much mind share this and other products get from blog posts. With Technorati following another big spike in conversations about the iPhone, I wonder what it takes to really gain the attention of the blogosphere and get them to converge on certain topics.

Also, do you think the iPhone is getting too much press? Lastly, do you avoid talking about things on your blog after seeing them mentioned everywhere?

I know that sometimes I avoid talking about things, even if they are exciting or interesting because it seems that there are so many people out there sharing their opinions, and why add one more when just about everything has already been said by both the popular and less popular blogs.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

Categories: General

Comments

1. Rhea says: 1/10/2007

I almost always avoid writing about stuff everyone else is. That’s why you will almost never see politics on my blog. Maybe once or twice in nine months.

2. Steven Hodson says: 1/10/2007

It is inevitable that anything Apple does will get massive amount of press whether it be MSM or bloggers and other than throwing out a sarcastic post or two there really isn’t much point in the majority of bloggers trying to add anything constructive to the conversation.

Getting lost in the noise is extremely easy to do unless you can get in at the very beginning (usually the first 5 comments) of a discussion with links back to your own thoughts on the matter. But trying to add anything really constructive at the end of the rail is just wasting your time as everyone else has moved on to more current items of interest.

3. Steven Hodson says: 1/10/2007

4. franky ) says: 1/10/2007

I surely try to avoid writing what everyone already writes about, and when I do follow the stream, than only because I have another view on it.

5. Steven Hodson says: 1/10/2007

my apologies about the double post .. not sure ho wthat happened .. delete either one if you want :)

6. Chris Mundell says: 1/11/2007

David
    I would encourage you (and others) to post a little something even when EVERYBODY else posted already. If you want to chime in, that is. Consider that some people are not subscribed to tons of blogs and your take is important to them. I posted on the iPhone, just to make my readers chuckle. No biggie, but that news sort of demanded comment:)

7. Jonk says: 1/11/2007

I agree here

There’s no point talking about it

Everyone’s seen it on the news.. and there is only a small spread of opinions you could have on the device as noone really knows all that much about it yet.

8. ff0ur says: 1/11/2007

Looks greate but price…

9. Thássius Veloso says: 1/11/2007

If iPhone is so good when talking about internet connections, I’m sure it would be a lot easier for bloggers to post from whenever they are. If it is possible now, imagine when iPhone starts selling.

10. Chris Bassoo says: 1/13/2007

Posted by Chris Bassoo…I am so glad that I found this site…great information…thanks Christopher Bassoo

11. Michael Murphey says: 1/13/2007

I think if you’re going to write any kind of blog about a specific topic that you have to touch on things that others have written about. The iPhone is a great example. I write AppleGazette.com (another Bloggy Network site), and I’m covering the iPhone left and right, because the readers that subscribe to the blog want to know as much as they can.

They don’t all subscribe to as many blogs as I do, I’m sure. We did Macworld live coverage, and even though there were a dozen other sites out there covering it, thousands of people still chose AppleGazette.com as the place they went (probably one of many places) to read about the Keynote.

Your readers like SOMETHING about your blog. Maybe it’s the way you write, maybe it’s the design of the site, or the way you have your ads up over someone elses…it could be anything…but there is some reason that they’re coming to your site for news and info…and if you don’t cover EVERYTHING they will NEVER think of you as the first place to go…so I say cover it all…just be sure and throw your take on it when you do.

12. Gerard @ Interweb World says: 1/17/2007

I hate jumping on bandwagons, unless I have something relevant to say. I felt moved to write about the iPhone, purely on the basis of the gushing that was going on in the blogosphere.

I’m not a big fan of phones/mobile devices anyway, and don’t understand why Apple’s take is any better than anyone else’s.

In contrast to some of the comments above, I feel my blog is MY BLOG, and people read it because they like my take on things, not because I regurgitate every tech story available. That’s not including you David – Blogging Pro is a great WordPress centric blog and you fill an important niche for me!

13. aydin-aydin says: 9/18/2008

Patent, Marka Patent, Patent Ofisi, Patent Dirsek, Patent Office, Patent Tescil, Patent Burosu, www patent, Patent com, Patent Ofisim, Patent Tescili, marka patent tescil, patent alma, turk patent, tasarim tescili, tescil belgesi, tasarim tescil, marka tescil, marka tescil belgesi, marka tescili