WordPress Plugin: Akismet WordPress Plugin 2.0
If you have downloaded WordPress 2.1, you already have the new Akismet plugin, but for everyone else, it is time to download and activate a new version of Akismet, one with some new features.
- Instead of just viewing the last 150 comments, you can now page through everything caught by Akismet.
- There was a performance bug which could cause the old plugin to be pretty hard on the DB when getting a ton of spam, now it doesn’t.
- You can now search the Akismet caught queue.
- Longer timeout so it’s less likely to let spam through if you have a free key and the load is high. (With a paid key you always are in the priority queue.)
- The counters now update properly when you clear things out.
- A recheck moderation queue page on the WP moderation page to re-submit things in your moderation queue, so if gosh forbid Akismet ever were to go down you could have it recheck all your comments later.
- A new counter widget you can put in your sidebar to show a live count of your spam, see an example on Photomatt.net.
- It kills the open_proxy_check option in WordPress 2.0 that causes false positives.
- You can hardcode your API key in the plugin file to hide the configuration page and enable Akismet as a mu-plugin for WordPress MU.
- If Akismet is unable to contact the mothership, it now has much friendlier debug messages.
- And finally my favorite, you can now tell Akismet to discard spam that comes in on entries older than a month. (On the Akismet configuration page under Plugins.)
Let’s hope it continues to get better and better. Thumbs up to the Automattic team for pushing out this new release.