WordPress 2.2 Delayed

Repost This

Well, it looks like a 120 day release cycle was just a tad too fast for the WordPress development team, and Matt has come out to let us all know it will be delayed.

The WP dev team has decided to hold back version 2.2 for at least a week or two from the original date of April 23 while we polish things up. I’ll post an updated release date as soon as we figure out how long everything is going to take. (Which is extra-hard in open source development.)

The 120 day cycle was a bit short, and so I am glad to see they didn’t feel like it was set in stone. I wonder if this will effect the next releases of WordPress as well. Honestly though, if it takes them another month, 150 days between decent releases is not horrible either.

Note: Matt informed me it has only been 90 days, but again, I think everyone is going to agree with me…Take your time Automattic team.

Repost This

Categories: WordPress News

Comments

1. Alex says: 4/18/2007

Yeah, is a problem with Tags, they will out tags of wp 2.2 and change it to wp 2.3 :p

2. Matt says: 4/18/2007

For the record, April 23 was 90 days from the last release.

3. David Peralty ) says: 4/18/2007

Thanks Matt, I didn’t realize that. But still… to be fair… even 150 days would be really good for a release cycle. That’d be 2 releases a year. I think everyone will forgive you all for the needed extra time.

4. Terry Trippany says: 4/19/2007

I think the 120 day release cycle should be more of target as well; an “ish” if you will. Much better to have the release solid and as feature rich as possible than to push something that will need a quick patch if something isn’t done quite right.

Hopefully plug-in developers will keep up!

5. Sheldon Kotyk says: 4/19/2007

I agree David.

Matt, I love the work you guys do but I’d rather update my 34 installs of WordPress twice a year rather than 5 times when 3 of them are critical patches.

Not that I complain too much with your simple upgrades.

6. 友情链接 says: 5/1/2007

友情链接库说明: 友情链接是网站推广的重要方法之一,本网站应广大站长请求,开发本平台,本站的特点是:本站收集长站的qq,只要你来我站,你就可以和成千上万的站长实现在线沟通,简单、方便,一改之前,因沟通不便,而使本应可以互换的友情链接,而无法做成。为了加入本网的所有网站公平在首页出现,只要从你站有客户来我站,你的站马上就会排到第一,使贵站马上就会出现在成千上万的站长眼前。