No Akismet for a Day?

I am wondering if a proposed idea is any good or not, as an announcement on JustAddWater.dk has been growing in power on the web. The idea: turn off Akismet for a day. The idea is to be reminded about how much work anti-spam software does for our blogs, and how much time it saves us each day, by taking a day off, without such protections.

They have decided that this day for them will be December 15th, and many others are joining on board, with even more people questioning the idea.

Even on the Akismet blog, the endeavor was mentioned, making me wonder if spammers are going to be setting their scripts to go full force on the 15th, as you can be sure they won’t let the day go by if they can really hit unprotected sites.

More commentary on the whole idea can be found on Lorelle’s blog as well.

Categories: WordPress News

Comments

1. Nicolargo ) says: 11/30/2007

I do not understand the goal of this “non Askimet day”. We know that this software help us to protect against all the spams… for me it’s an hoax…

2. Jake says: 11/30/2007

I’m not sure I see the point either. Its not like you can’t see how much Askimet helps you, the number’s right there for you to see. I know I appreciate Askimet quite alot, I’m not sure inviting spam in for a day will help me be any more appreciative.

3. Jeffro2pt0 says: 11/30/2007

I’ve decided not to go through with the project. Like so many others that commented on Lorelle’s article, (Are You Willing To Go Naked For One Day For Akismet) I can see just how much work Akismet has saved me from doing by looking at the spam filter statistics. So far, Akismet has protected this site from 4,528 spam comments. I’ve left my blog alone for more than 24 hours and when I come back, I have to sift through over 100 or more spam comments to see if Mike was flagged as a spammer. Akismet is not perfect, but it does a damn fine job of blocking a lot of spam.

4. Mario Andrade says: 12/1/2007

That is a complete non-sense. I can turn off akismet for 1 day but i’ll put up defensio.

When I get over 3000 spam comments on my blog everyday there’s no way i’m putting security down.

Maybe the police should all stop for one day to remind everyone of how important they are.

5. honest ape says: 12/1/2007

I don’t need to go a day without pants to prove how useful they are to me.

6. Alain says: 12/1/2007

Salut,

Je vous invite à allez voir ce site professionnel http://www.ekivo.com ! L’annuaire des entreprises présenté est vraiment utile, intéressant et pourra certainement vous être utile: en un clic, on y trouve la liste des entreprises par secteur d’activité, par région ou la liste des contacts par fonction. Et apparemment, le site a réussi à collecter pas mal de données sur les entreprises de France.

Voila et bonne continuation pour la suite,
    Alain