Welcome “Tyner”, WordPress v2.6. You have long been missed, we thought you’d come July 7, but alas, we didn’t hear from you since then. Did you get caught in-between flights? We’re you jet-lagged and had to sleep a week to get your body clock in shape? Did you miss the route or you just had to take the tourist road and enjoyed a week of bliss?
Whatever it is, ah… welcome Tyner… we’ll all make you a comfy home.
The WordPress Development blog announced that they have released Tyner, WordPress 2.6. Named after Jazz Pianist McCoy Tyner, WordPress 2.6 offers a number of new features that make WordPress a more powerful CMS: you can now track changes to every post and page and easily post from wherever you are on the web, plus there are dozens of incremental improvements to the features introduced in version 2.5.
Here are the biggest updates so far:
- Post Revisions: Wiki-like tracking of edits
- Press This!: Post from wherever you are on the web
- Shift Gears: Turbo-speed your blogging
- Theme Previews: See it before your audience does
And the minor updates/improvements as well:
- Word count! Never guess how many words are in your post anymore.
- Image captions, so you can add sweet captions like Political Ticker does under your images.
- Bulk management of plugins.
- A completely revamped image control to allow for easier inserting, floating, and resizing. It’s now fully integrated with the WYSIWYG.
- Drag-and-drop reordering of Galleries.
Plugin update notification bubble.
- Customizable default avatars.
- You can now upload media when in full-screen mode.
- Remote publishing via XML-RPC and APP is now secure (off) by default, but you can turn it on easily through the options screen.
- Full SSL support in the core, and the ability to force SSL for security.
- You can now have many thousands of pages or categories with no interface issues.
- Ability to move your wp-config file and wp-content directories to a custom location, for â€ścleanâ€ť SVN checkouts.
- Select a range of checkboxes with â€śshift-click.â€ť
- You can toggle between the Flash uploader and the classic one.
- A number of proactive security enhancements, including cookies and database interactions.
- Stronger better faster versions of TinyMCE, jQuery, and jQuery UI.
- Version 2.6 fixes approximately 194 bugs.