Google To Shut Down FTP For Blogger (Thousands Cry Out In Terror)

After unleashing custom domains to the world for Blogger, it looks as if the boys and girls at Google will be shutting down FTP access for the small faction who refused to host themselves upon Mountain View’s servers.

(Blogger Buzz)  FTP remains a significant drain on our ability to improve Blogger: only .5% of active blogs are published via FTP — yet the percentage of our engineering resources devoted to supporting FTP vastly exceeds that. On top of this, critical infrastructure that our FTP support relies on at Google will soon become unavailable, which would require that we completely rewrite the code that handles our FTP processing. [...]

For that reason, we are announcing today that we will no longer support FTP publishing in Blogger after March 26, 2010.

(Note: Emphasis is from Blogger Buzz)

Google has already created a dedicated blog to help FTP users migrate back to blogspot (or better yet underneath their own custom domain).

This news will probably upset blogspot fans blogging from hostile nations like China, where hosting a blog within ones borders can lead to an early death of not only the blog, but the author as well.

(Note: For those of you looking for alternatives of expressing your opinion without sacrificing your life, WordPress.com and Live Journal are free alternatives that (thus far) are not blocked by the Great Firewall of China (at least according to Website Pulse).

If any readers know of any other blog platforms that are not blocked, feel free to add suggestions below)

Categories: Blogger News
Tags: , ,

Comments

1. Louis Gray ) says: 1/23/2010

One of the main reasons I first started using Blogger was the service’s FTP support. I used it for 3+ years, and made the move last fall. Though at first, I thought it’d be a big deal, it has been quite seamless, and lets me now use all of Blogger’s new features. There will be some hiccups, but the team deserves credit for warning in advance and I am sure we will see more as the date draws closer.

2. Darnell Clayton ) says: 1/23/2010

Hey Louis,

I’ve never had an excellant FTP experienced on Blogger, but I did find their custom domain feature to be awesome (aside from one or two problems).

I do know that this move will hurt those in hostile nations, but hopefully they’ll find ways of hacking through government firewalls (or use proxy’s).

Truth be told the only reason I switched away from Blogger was due to it’s lack of pages (at the time), and the lack of a decent mobile interface.

It’s still one of my favorite platforms to use, and if I could I’d pay them just to host the software on my own server (as it’s easier to edit than WP IMHO)

3. Joe ) says: 1/23/2010

If I remember correctly, before Blogger was acquired by Google you bought Blogger Pro for FTP support and custom domains, I want to say for $35/year. They closed Blogger Pro and made the premium features free, and offered Pro buyers either a pro-rated refund or a sweat shirt. I still have the sweat shirt, it is very high quality. And my old school Blogger cred is established.

I wanted to believe it was just an urban legend about getting killed for blogging, but I looked it up and it actually happened, sort of. When Wei was killed in January 2008 for taking video of a protest, but the perpetrators were technically private security, and there is nothing to say they knew he was a citizen journalist.

Incidentally, China is far from the only place where you can get arrested for photographing police, it even happens in the USA.

How about Posterous or Tumblr?

4. Janette Toral ) says: 1/26/2010

I think it only made sense for blogger to stop the ftp support with all the new features they provide to the service. However, it will be great though if there is an option where all entries can be backed up in one file.

5. Kian Ann, Property Malaysia says: 1/31/2010

OMG. Not everyone reads blogger buzz, do they?

Its 0.5% of the users, but these are probably the ones with the MOST traffic? (I mean, they probably won’t be getting their own domain if they weren’t serious about their blog?)

6. Shelku says: 2/3/2010

There’s one big reason why I chose to host my own blog posts that I haven’t seen anyone mention yet – if you host with Google, they get to have certain rights to your photos, videos and text! I chose to host my blog myself just so that I could retain full rights to my content without giving Google any of those rights!

7. Best Antivirus Software says: 2/3/2010

A lot of changes at google these days first with Google personalized search back a few weeks ago, now this FTP announcement. I’m still not clear on how Custom Domains from google will affect SEO for one thing, or how it all works so I’ll get reading on that but WordPress is starting to look like a good alternative at this point.

8. Vijay Padiyar says: 2/5/2010

This is just ridiculous! I have my own website http://www.vijaypadiyar.in that hosts my blog which is published from Blogger via FTP. Closing this functionality is going to create problems for me.

Firstly, I HATE a blog URL like blog.vijaypadiyar.in. I simply prefer http://www.vijaypadiyar.in/blog. But even if I do decide to move to a Google custom domain, I would lose all my inlinks/backlinks (i.e. people linking back to my various blog posts) :-(. Does Google have any solution for that? I can’t go around asking people to update their links to my posts!!

I guess the best solution would be for Google to develop an installable publishing tool like WordPress has, so you can install it on your web server and continue with your existing FTP-based blog (except that now you wouldn’t need to FTP into your web server anymore, since the blog management software is now available locally).

I dunno… hope Google comes up with a better deal for its most active set of bloggers.

9. mutantecosmico says: 2/8/2010

the blogger ftp service was very good because you could pay for a cheap hosting service and host LOT’S of BLOGS without destroying CPU usage / MYSQL servers… its very BAD news this is going on… im very sad.

10. Troy Adamson says: 2/11/2010

Google really screwed us over. Moving to WordPress. Here is a tutoriial I found ab out how to do it.

11. mutantecosmico says: 2/12/2010

after making a little research i found that using custom domains service of blogger is VERY EASY and this kind of migration can be achieved easily in less than 4 days, but of course we will have to make a lot of changes… its 12 feb and google-blogger doesnt give any kind of assistance regarding 301 redirections and what happens with the old files of the ftp site… this is not nice … i think something is going wrong with google to be treating like this all the bloggers…

12. mutantecosmico says: 2/12/2010

what i forgot to say is WORDPRESS in you OWN SERVER ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS, AND DESTROYS CPU USE/MYSQL… its not a good solution AT ALL…

13. Frank says: 3/29/2010

What I haven’t read about is the advantage of using your own blog with private photos in a password protected area of ones website.
    I don’t want all those private photos on a “community” server I don’t have direct access to.
    And even with WordPress’ password per post option, the blog itsself can still be seen and the files are at WordPress.

Looks like iWeb or Thingamablog are the only ways to keep my way of blogging.
    Shame.
    Frank

14. Guy Manningham says: 8/27/2012

What are the best alternatives to this service out there?