5 Things to NEVER Do on Your Blog

Repost This

NEVER publish a blog when you’re angry. Blogging is a great conduit to release your emotional angst, but a post that is bitter/angry/nasty usually does more harm than good. Blogs have long memories; what you’re feeling today might completely change after some time passes. “Sleep on it” and let powerful posts simmer down as “drafts.” Once you’ve cooled down, give the post another read and make decision whether it should be published, tweaked or deleted.

NEVER tell your employer you have a blog. You can tout your blogging skills and show examples of your success, but do everything you can to keep the URL out of their hands. I have seen many instances of bosses using a person’s blog against them. This either leads to getting accused of doing outside work on company time or you end up having your coworkers monitor your every word – giving them insight into your personal life I’m a big believer that your personal life and work life need to remain separate to ensure happiness.

NEVER publish strong content on a Friday, weekend, or the day before a holiday. (There are exceptions depending on your blog’s niche). The majority of blogs see traffic dip during these times, and a traffic lull can take the sheen off of a stellar blog post. Give yourself the best chance to succeed and try to post the bulk of your content Tuesday – Thursday during normal business hours.

NEVER forget to include a link back to your own blog within each post that you publish. This method, coupled with a free Google Alerts subscription will help you track down scrapers who steal your content in its entirety for their own gain.

NEVER be afraid to ask…for anything! If you don’t ask, you will not receive. Whether it’s asking your readers to spread the love across social networks or hitting up a company for some swag – asking, at the very least, puts you in contention.

Agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts in the comments section.

Repost This

Categories: Blogging Tips
Tags: , ,

Comments

1. Michael Hyatt ) says: 9/10/2010

I disagree with your point about never tell your employer. While this may be true in some corporate cultures, it is not true in others. At our company, we encourage people to blog and obliterate the role between personal and professional. I think it is an artificial boundary that largely no longer exists.

I do agree with your other points. Excellent!

2. Andrew G. Rosen says: 9/10/2010

Thanks for the comment, Michael. I agree that telling your employer is contingent on your industry, but in my travels, I have found that the only thing that is artificial is that people pretend the personal/professional barrier no longer exists. If you are fortunate enough to be with an org where that is true, consider yourself lucky! It can go either way and all bloggers should use caution…your mileage may vary.

3. Paulo says: 9/10/2010

;)

4. Ice Mom ) says: 9/10/2010

I disagree with the idea that you shouldn’t publish strong content on Fridays. On Fridays, I run my popular Ask the Ice Moms feature, where readers submit their dilemmas to my Advisory Board of figure skating parents.

I run the feature on Fridays on purpose: I know Fridays will be a low day, so I give readers a reason to swing by the blog. They know the content is going to be very, very good.

The key to my Friday success is that dependability. I think the quality Friday post helps my weekend numbers, too.

5. JD ) says: 9/10/2010

It’s a fair point to try and keep your blog private – yet, then web is not private. If this is a real concern, don’t publish your stuff on the Web. Even if you try to remain anonymous, it’s likely someone will eventually find out. Facebook is certainly breaking down boundaries between personal and professional social circles.

I blog FOR work, in addition to my personal blog. My personal blog is monitored by stakeholders within the organization, and has surfaced in some surprising places, like in the Human Resources office. The focus of my blog is creativity (which relates to my professional life) and leading a positive existence, so I’m not worried about who reads it. But, I am mindful of what I post.

Finally, you can use .htaccess to discourage scrappers.

• Mike T says: 9/11/2010

The same is true of security in general. However, you can inconvenience the vast majority of potential enemies. Hide in plain sight. It’s not hard.

6. Andrew G. Rosen says: 9/10/2010

An “Advisory Board of figure skating parents” – really? Who knew!

• Ice Mom ) says: 9/10/2010

Oh, yeah. My Advisory Board is terrific. They field questions like how to fire a coach, what to do when a figure skater is discouraged, and how to fund the whole skating thing. I have a mother of an Olympic figure skater on the board, two parents of national-level skaters, some adult skaters, and a few coaches. We learn a lot from one another and it encourages interaction.

7. ecank ) says: 9/11/2010

:) I agree with you, especially: NEVER tell your employer you have a blog.
    I have a blog which includes my politicial and social decisions and i don’t want to known as an assailant. Professional life doesn’t always similar to social life. Thus, i recommend you, never tell your professional surroundings you have a blog.

Take care. :)

8. Joe Boyle ) says: 9/11/2010

I have trained my readers to come back on the days I post, so not posting on weekends doesn’t really apply for me. I actually released a contest on a weekend and it became one of my top-commented posts. It really just depends on your audience, if you ask me.

9. Hire joomla web developer says: 9/14/2010

Iwish I had read these post few days before. I am writing a blog everyday and I was quite unhappy with the situation I was facing in job. And in anger I written truth things on my post which was agaist the company of course. And I don’t know how my boss read it and fired me out on the next day :( So you are really right never ever write when you are angry

10. Rakesh @ Wizard Journal ) says: 9/15/2010

I agree with you, if you won’t ask you won’t get. There i always add something like this “Thank you for reading this post, i would love read what you thought, please spread some joy to your friends as well :D”

This keeps comments coming.

11. Rakesh @ Wizard Journal ) says: 9/15/2010

I would like to ask you one thing, my blog reader don’t comment often, i mean yeah! they do sometime but not always. My friends don’t appreciate blogging… could you give me some words of motivation.??

12. Kris on Leading Marketing says: 9/15/2010

Blog can make a lead generator, but because of a complete tool that build up a content marketing method that captivate buyers and generate leads.

First and foremost, you need to set if what blog lead generation method is.
    Here is the two uncommon strategies but you can also use both or you should also do this two different blogs.

First is, Promote your expert status. This mean to bring relationship with the readers and write an impressive topic regularly. This is not an easy task and it will takes time to think, but you can get a lot of money on it.

Second is, Apply wordpress like SEO and Lead Generation tool. In this method, you build up a blog which leading niche keywords and work the system to page rank great for those words. The best thing in this second part is you can apprehend the results normally and you do not need to be strain to write too much articles many times a week.

13. benwaynet ) says: 9/18/2010

Very good list
    I tend to post mostly on the weekends because that is when I have the time to write. I need to schedule my post more often so my post are better spread throughout the week.

As for letting your company know about your blog. I think it depends on the person and the company. I’m a very open blogger, but I do take your first point very seriously.

I post about projects I”m working on at work, but more from a technical view not personal.
    But I am very vocal on my blogs about my savior (Christ) and about social issues. It part of who I am and I live that way all the time.

14. baon says: 11/10/2010

I agree with you too

15. Colum McAndrew ) says: 12/7/2010

I’d add my voice to those who disagree with “telling your employer about your blog”. I work in IT but my company takes great qudos from my blog and my standing in the professional community. I think the key is never to post anything on it that could be used against you (i.e. be professional).

16. Polycarbonate says: 1/19/2011

I am really thankful to this topic because it really gives up to date information ,*,

17. rentenvosorge says: 9/28/2011

Ich war sehr glücklich zu finden dieser net -site.I wollte in Ihre Zeit für diese wunderbare Sprachreisen! I positiv Spaß mit jede etwas und ich Zum einen Blick at neue Slideshows Sie Blog schreiben.