Using Google+ Sparks to Find Content to Blog and Grow Your Traffic

g-plusOne of the features about the new Google+ social network is Sparks.

It has been said that Sparks needs to improve to become truly valuable and while there is a level of truth in that statement, I do think that the true power of Sparks lies in its simplicity and limited results, assuring that often the quality of the results seems to be very high. High also being based on less noise than when using Google Blog Search or Twitter Search.

Using Google+ Sparks

Making use of Google+ Sparks to find content is simple and very straightforward.

google-plus-sparks-1

When clicking on the Sparks link in the sidebar, the landing page shows you manually curated groups, Sparks, for popular topics.
After having searched for your preferred topic, you can now pin this ‘Spark’ to your sidebar.

google-plus-sparks-2

From now on you will see this Spark in your sidebar for easy access. Know that Google+ will collapse and only show the first 5 Sparks you added. The next ones will be hidden under the expand tab’.

Using your Google+ Profile to Grow Your Traffic

Besides finding topics to write about via Google+ Sparks, Sparks can also help you to grow your own Google+ profile and eventually traffic to your own blog. Thanks to Sparks it will be easy to promote relevant content on Google+.

Main tips to use your Google+ profile as a traffic generator is to not only publish your content. Also do share content of others, and do comment to the links you share.

google-plus-sparks-5

On Google+ there is ample opportunity to add commentary and even share topics with specific people, more than on Twitter. While you can ‘page’/ping people in your entries do not overdo and only ping people when your content is specifically targeted at them.

Sharing links on Google+ tends to get noisier than on other networks, please use the possibility to add commentary. Sharing links without commentary is much easier and faster on Twitter. ;)

Do not forget to share your own links BUT do not just share your own links. Avoid paging people when promoting your own content.

Categories: Blogging Tips
Tags: , ,

Comments

1. jumpdates says: 7/20/2011

Hey.. this is something I love to do.. I have been using Google+ from few days but never use this feature see how this goes

2. Andrei ) says: 7/22/2011

Hey.,

That’s a really interesting thing. I didn’t know Google+ had anything like that… heck, I haven’t even looked in that area. Thanks for casting some light on this one.

Andrei

3. Michael Hubbard ) says: 7/22/2011

I must say I think mygeni’s (mygeni.org) implementation is a lot better as content is sorted by relevancy and credibility and it is all a lot more transparent…

• Franky Branckaute ) says: 7/22/2011

Michael, thanks for the link to your site. I do not see how both can be compared though: Sparks is part of a social network (which is still in ‘Field Trial’ and invite only).

Your service seems to be very niche and rather small: your top (public) interest, environment, has 461 results at the moment of writing and only 40 is content less than a month old. Sorry but I doubt that if I do sign up and do a search for WordPress Plugins, I’ll find as many results as in Sparks.

• Michael Hubbard ) says: 7/22/2011

oh for sure, Google is massive no doubt. We are still in alpha, with no big campaigns or media coverage of the product. Right now you will find more on sparks but what I was referring to was also not quantity but quality. I prefer to follow 10 people on twitter that I know post stuff I want to see than 200 who occasionally post stuff and leads me to have to sort through all the stuff I don’t want to see. Right now there isn’t much content on our site, but we are currently working with content providers to change that. The significance is the specific targeting. Sparks is an interest, its just that, nothing more, while mygeni uses keywords (customized by the user with some suggestions by the site) as well as interactions etc. to find the stuff you actually want to see, without having to search for it explicitly. It’s more for browsing and finding stuff you want to read. For specific searches there’s still google search.

Also google’s sparks isn’t very transparent in where it aggregates content from, how does it decide what sources are credible?

• Franky Branckaute ) says: 7/22/2011

Thanks for the clarification, Michael. Please let us know when your service contains more sources, or feel free to even submit a guide, similar to this one, to me (franky [ATT] splashpress [DOT] com) once you have more content. We will then consider adding it.

If you would not mind, I would now like the comment thread to focus again on the topic how to use Sparks, rather than debating which service is better since it feels rather spammy.

Thanks.

4. What-Latest says: 7/26/2011

Hello,
    Thank you for the information.

5. Sri Vinati says: 8/6/2011

I will check out Google+ today.Thanks for your info.

6. Govindji Patel says: 9/6/2011

Thank you for great article and had been looking for a information how to best use google+ and learn and your article has pointed some great information on how to use google+ as it is new social network was confused.

7. Adriana says: 2/25/2012

thanks for share!

8. sem calcinha says: 2/28/2012

Adoro me mostrar peladinha na web cam

Current ye@r *