Vox Media employees go deep, thriving on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of brands includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, Racked and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
Come internet with us!
SB Nation’s team site covering the Golden State Warriors is looking for a dynamic new talent to add to their staff. We are in search of a writer with a nose for news items, the ability to put together short articles in response to news quickly, and time during the daytime to make regular contributions to the site.
Bring your passion for the Warriors and basketball opinions to a vibrant platform by and for NBA fans.
This is a paid contractor position.
Joining the exclusive staff of one of our team sites gives you one of the more prominent voices in the basketball community. Team fan bases are always ravenously consuming our material, and you’ll have a chance to speak to the masses through our wide-reaching SB Nation platform.
Lead news writer
Golden State of Mind has a strong core of contributors to provide analysis, features, previews and recaps and we’re now looking for a point person to our lead our effort to respond to news items about the Warriors as they happen during the day. This may include reactions to breaking news, rumors, minor news during the day (e.g. injury updates, assignment to D-League), post-practice presser quotes, reactions to provocative national articles about the Warriors, weekly links posts, and occasional gameday contributions (e.g. odds, previews and recaps).
This role is perfect for self-starters who have the time to keep up with Warriors news and commentary on a regular basis during daytime hours on weekdays (9-5 p.m. PST Mon-Fri) and can quickly articulate opinions in writing. Sometimes a couple hundred words (2-3 paragraphs) can be very effective in starting a discussion, which can be supplemented by more detailed analysis coming later in the day or even the day after.
Desired attributes/skills are:
- Enthusiasm about all aspects of the Warriors, from big breaking news to more mundane developments throughout the season.
- An ability to extract provocative angles about the Warriors within news and commentary from around the NBA world.
- An ability to comfortably put together a quick and coherent first reaction to news items.
- Flexible availability during daytime hours on weekdays.
- You are a huge fan of basketball and passionate follower of the Golden State Warriors and have experience writing about these topics. If you don’t yet have experience you can join your favorite team site and start writing FanPosts. It’s how many of our writers got their start.
- You can take the thoughts inside your head and transcribe them into competent arrangements of English words that effectively communicate your idea, i.e., you need to be able to write complete sentences. And more!
- You have strong opinions on your team that have not been yet been brought to the foreground.
- You have strong opinions on issues that have already been brought to the foreground but need some additional perspective.
- You take genuine pride in your writing, your discussions and how you gather facts and data to back them up.
- You are an active member of GSoM who regularly submits FanPosts or FanShots.
- You enjoy discussing the team on our website and want to enrich the the discussion in our comments.
- Demonstrated track record of writing consistently about the NBA.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://bit.ly/2uomym7 →