Job Board >> Freelance News Editors for the Internet
|Date Posted||09, Thursday 2012|
|Listing Type||Hourly Rate|
Position(s): Multiple Freelance Real-Time Contributing Editors for Nights & Weekends
It's time to start thinking about your future. Heavy.com is a growing real-time news organization recruiting highly motivated self-starters.
Heavy.com is hiring freelance contributing editors with high energy, news acumen, web-publishing experience and a passion for real-time relevance to swiftly identify breaking news. Editors will add value by identifying these breaking news stories and packaging and posting content -- working remotely and independently in overnight (6pm EST -- 8am EST) and weekend shifts. These positions are for independent, energetic, upbeat over achievers looking for an opportunity to make a name for themselves. If you are ready to join a team, make a significant contribution and enjoy the rewards, read on. . .
The positions include the following duties:
• Intensively monitor breaking news/emerging trends and immediately identify topics worthy of rapid repackaging -- topics that are most likely to be searched for (Googled) and shared through social networks.
• Adept at use of RSS reader to track real-time postings from numerous news, entertainment, sports, pop culture, science, and technology websites
• Twitter-savvy and versed in all social media channels to discover news "before it's news"
• Able to monitor TV, radio, and all additional sources of real-time information
• Immediately add value and post content to Heavy.com.
o Rapidly identify an angle & headline and immediately post story
o In successive iterations, add value with additional text, photos, gifs, video, tweets, embedded documents
o Track developments and provide real-time updates
o Adhere to practices of Heavy's real-time methodology
• Collaborate with editor-in-chief and other Heavy.com staff.
o Accept and execute assignments
o Pick up ongoing stories from editors on previous shift
o Communicate with editors on subsequent shifts
o Full "buy-in" of real-time philosophy
o Passion for news, pop culture, and new media
o Knowledge of SEO and headline-writing experience
o Experience with content-management systems such as Word Press or Tumblr
o Own computer with access to high-speed internet