Job Board >> Freelance Sports Writer - NCAA
|Company Name||Sports Direct|
|Date Posted||05, Friday 2013|
|Listing Type||Per Post Fee|
SportsDirect Inc. is searching for part-time college sports writers to add to our successful freelance team spread out over North America.
SportsDirect Inc. is the leader in delivering high quality sports content and cross platform solutions. Our content and solutions are used by major publishers, websites, newspapers, television, radio and other media organizations worldwide, including Thomson Reuters, USA Today, Chicago Tribune and the Covers Media Group.
About the Role
As a member of our freelance team, you’ll be writing game previews and recaps for NCAA sports as well as editing other freelancers’ articles before they reach Quality Control. You’ll be expected to follow assigned games closely while writing recaps and employ sound news judgment when writing previews for upcoming games – all within a given deadline. While editing, you’ll be expected to not only check grammar but statistics and player names as well. SportsDirect Inc. must be your top priority on game day. Multiple writing and/or editing assignments on top of SportsDirect Inc. duties will not be tolerated, as we expect top quality content from our experienced team of writers and editors.
- The ability to write and edit according to deadlines, and a flexible schedule on game day to allow for multiple assignments in a single day.
- The ability to follow SportsDirect’s style guide and adhere to our recap/preview templates.
- Need to be available via email or phone during assigned games and have access to games via T.V. or Internet.
- Learn to navigate SportsDirect’s Editorial Database for the purpose of uploading and publishing articles.
- Must keep track of completed assignments for the purpose of payroll.
- University degree or College diploma in Communications, Journalism, English or Broadcast (or combination of relevant experience).
- 3 years of previous sports writing experience is a must.
- Experience working in a deadline driven environment.
- Track record of knowledgeable, engaging, timely coverage of The Big Four (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) and College sports (NCF, NCB).
- Advanced knowledge of sports and athletes with an enthusiastic commitment to staying on top of news and statistics.
- Excellent writing skills along with the ability to self-edit and edit the work of others.
- Ability to work independently and with little supervision.
- Ability to use E-mail and check regularly.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should send their cover letter and resume to: Jarett Burke, Editorial Supervisor. Email: [email protected] Only those under consideration will be asked to submit samples of their work.