Being a blogger comes with responsibility. You have a duty to entertain and inform, you must hold yourself accountable for your words, and, when given the opportunity, you should lend your voice to help others.
Blog Action Day, an event coordinated by Change.org, a social media site that raises awareness about important causes and empowers people to take action, is slated for October 15, 2010. On that day bloggers across the world will unite to help raise awareness for a significant global issue.
Over 13,000 bloggers from 156 countries were involved last year, and if you give a hoot about the planet, we encourage you to get involved.
There are currently six international discussions being evaluated and voted on. Honestly, they are all worthy of your blog’s attention – but you can help choose the focus of this year’s event.
* Water: The UN recently declared water to be a human right, but millions around the world still lack even the most basic access, causing widespread disease and the possibility of military conflict over access to clean water.
* Human Trafficking: From prostitution to forced labor, more than 27 million people are modern-day slaves, making human trafficking one of the most overlooked man-made tragedies in the world.
* Women: The most discriminated against group in the world isn’t a minority: it’s women. From inequality in schooling to reduced economic opportunities, women face a disproportionate degree of adversity all over the world.
* Sustainable Food: Industrial agriculture has overtaken the world’s food supply – creating obesity in the developed world and spreading genetically modified crops and oftentimes undercutting local farmers in the developing world.
* Hunger: While many of us may take healthy, nutritious food for granted, more than 1 billion people around the world see it as an unattainable luxury.
* Oceans: Overfishing and pollution have decimated untold species of fish and other ocean life over the past few decades, and recent oil spills have shown how vulnerable aquatic life is to man-made disasters.
Make your choice here or you can even suggest a topic that is near and dear to your heart.
For all of you bloggers who are just starting out or see very little action on your blog as far as traffic or comments: do not be discouraged. You have a voice and the power to make a difference! Participating in a great event such as Blog Action Day can not only help you “give back” but it also can put your blog on the map.
Author: Andrew G. Rosen
After working for FOX News and MTV Networks, Andrew G. Rosen founded Jobacle.com, a career advice and employment news blog. He is also the author of The Exit Guide: How to Leave a Job the Right Way.