Blavity, Inc. is looking for new leaders to join our growing media company. We are a venture-backed startup based in downtown Los Angeles, reaching over 30 million multicultural millennials per month.
We are seeking an ambitious journalist to join the team as a part-time Politics Editor, focused on creating editorial content on racial justice and politics and the ways the two intersect to impact the black community. The ideal candidate will possess outstanding organizational skills, an enthusiasm for politics and policy, and a desire to work in a fast-paced, competitive digital news environment. This is an outstanding chance to learn and grow as both a writer and editor in the newsroom and help build out Blavity’s political coverage. This role is critical to Blavity’s commitment to educate the Black electorate by expanding our coverage of the 2018 midterms and lead-up to the 2020 presidential election.
The ideal candidate is an avid news consumer who stays abreast of all the important political updates and the impact new and existing policies have on the black community. Candidates should also have strong writing and interviewing skills as well as the knowledge and creativity to unpack big political news items into digestible news pieces. Experience with social media and social content is also preferred.
The role is part-time and remote.
What you’ll do:
- Lead Blavity’s political coverage and work in collaboration with the Editor in Chief
- Contribute ideas daily as well as write, assign stories, edit, and recruit new writers
- Manage stories, maintain an editorial calendar for coverage & interview lawmakers and elected officials to produce coverage around issues impacting the community
- Actively pitch ideas for exciting and fresh ways to approach political coverage for a young, mobile-first audience
- Fact-check stories as well as conduct research and administrative tasks for daily web production
- This person will be expected to identify and pitch quality political news stories multiple times a week, take initiative in reaching out to reliable sources and be comfortable with speaking or delivering news on camera.
- Correspond with the content marketing team to ensure stories perform well on social and help manage a newsletter focused solely around politics news
- Experience covering state and/or national politics
- Proven ability to break news and handle a demanding, fast-moving reporting job
- Demonstrated history of writing clearly, accurately and authoritatively on deadline
- Minimum 2 year reporting and writing experience
- Editing skills
- Proficiency in web production and social media
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.