We are looking for talented writers who are ready to research and write roughly articles a week for our site. This is a great opportunity to write for a leading entertainment site, in the top 100 of all internet websites in the United States. Don’t take our word for it, check the Quantcast numbers: https://bit.ly/2OTbHar.
In particular, we are currently looking for those that are experts in offbeat history. Here are some examples of the type of Weird History writing we love that we’ve published recently:
How Quickly You Would Die If You Suddenly Found Yourself In Another Era Of History: https://bit.ly/2Airxq1
Every Rule In The Code Duello, The Stupidest Way Men Used To Settle Beef: https://bit.ly/2RZMKvC
What It’s Like Living In Venezuela As It Endures One Of The Worst Economic Disasters In Modern History: https://bit.ly/2Agwnnl
This is an assignment and pitch-heavy gig. You will be expected to pitch ideas for articles that will do well on social media and take assignments that are handed to you by our editors and run with them. If your ideas are good, we’ll accept lots of your pitches. If you turn in good writing in a timely manner, we’ll give you more assignments. If we *really* think you’re great (and you live in the Los Angeles area), we’ll ask you to come work for us full-time.
This is a paid, remote opportunity. Candidates will be compensated for their work on a per-article basis, based on the length of assignment and level of research required.
Here’s what you’ll need for us to trust you with tons of assignments:
- Interest and expertise in history; if you are not interested in this particular topic, please look at our other freelance writing positions that better fit your interests.
- Advanced, thorough research skills.
- Writing chops that enable you to create an article about anything in a clear, informative, and fun style.
If this sounds exciting, here’s what we need from you:
- Resume and completed application
- Your cover letter giving color/examples of how you meet and exceed the qualifications listed above. And yes, we are looking at your cover letter to get an idea of your writing style, so smart, funny letters really stand out.
- Your one writing sample (in the form of a list) that is relevant to this job description (don’t send SEO writing or journalistic long-form, since that’s not what we’re looking for)
- Your 3 list ideas about Weird History that you would write for us, with two example items that would be on each list.
- Your list of topics (other than Weird History) that you are interested in writing about: please be as broad as possible, as we’re always looking for writers that have really unique interests.
- How many assignments you expect to be able to write for us per week, and please keep in mind that we are only looking for freelancers who have enough time to turn in no fewer than 3 assignments per week.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.