Website Red Hat, Inc.
At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Global Learning Services (GLS) team is looking for an experienced Technical Editor to join us to support the development of the Red Hat Training courses. In this role, you will play an important part in maintaining the editorial quality and integrity of our content. You’ll need to have a passion for both technology and the English language. As a Technical Editor, you will work closely with our Content Services and Content Development teams, editing customer-facing course training and assessment material.
Primary job responsibilities
- Edit for organization, content, technical accuracy, style, grammar, and punctuation
- Exercise good judgment in assessing the level of edit a piece of documentation requires at every stage of the process; editing multiple pieces at various levels of development
- Manage tasks and evaluate task priorities
- Edit content for a highly technical audience
- Follow internal style guidelines and maintain a consistent look and feel for documents across multiple offerings
- Update the internal style guides for content and content tagging
- Be responsible for content quality and editorial review of customer-facing course material, skills assessments, and video-based training transcripts
- Bachelor’s degree in English, technical communication, journalism, communications, or a related field
- 3-5 years of experience as a technical editor or writer, with a passion for clear and proper language, using internal style guides, as well as industry guides like the Microsoft Writing Style Guide
- Fluent written and verbal language skills in English
- Experience editing for a software or technology services company
- Ability to work effectively with different cultures and geographies across multiple time zones
- Ability to deliver difficult messages tactfully to a wide variety of content author receptiveness for the best user outcome
- Ability to identify and offer improvement to workflow, efficiency, and quality of technical content development and editing
- Flexible learner capable of learning quickly and moving easily from document to document and project to project
- Experience with minimalism and structured writing
- Willingness to join occasional calls outside of traditional 8-5 p.m. local hours
- Proficiency at reviewing, tagging, and commenting within DocBook, AsciiDoc or DITA is a big plus
The following are considered a plus:
- Open source or Linux experience is a plus
- Proficiency with agile methodology, Rally, and GitHub is a plus
- Experience with a variety of training modalities, e.g., instructor-led, online learning, virtual training, and video-based training, is a plus
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.
To apply for this job please visit us-redhat.icims.com.