About Blavity, Inc.: Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and new media company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video, and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for Black media, reaching over 80 million users per month through our growing brand portfolio, which includes; Blavity News, Blavity Politics, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow & Act. Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity, Inc. Team executes with our values at the forefront of mind: Love of Community, Transparency and Communication, Collective Responsibility, and Fail Fast. Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction.
Job Summary: Blavity News is looking for a skilled Weekend Editor who will be responsible for assigning, editing, publishing, and sharing articles to social media. This position partners closely with the Blavity News editorial team. The ideal candidate has three or more years of editing experience, is knowledgeable of and has a passion for Black culture, has a knack for headline-framing, an ability to write with empathy, and is comfortable working independently. The Weekend Editor is expected to review articles for clarity, structure, word choice, accuracy, and alignment with AP Style.
This role will report directly into the Assistant Managing Editor, Blavity News.
- Assign and edit three news articles per day
- Review stories for context, accuracy, and grammar
- Provide feedback to the Weekend Writer on errors and areas of improvement
- Help source and flag news stories for coverage consideration
- Education: Preferred BA/BS in Journalism, or relevant work experience
- Experience: 3 or more years of experience with editing and/or fact-checking for a digital news publication
- Technologies: Fluent in content management systems, social media, and Google Suite
- Experience editing news stories on tight deadlines
- Ability to edit long and short-form articles
- High-energy, company-first, positive attitude; must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment
- A healthy appreciation of Black culture
Details: This position is a 1099 Contract, which averages up to 10 hours per week for up to 6 months. Candidates will be expected to be available Saturday and Sunday from 10AM-2PM EST, ensuring stories are edited, published, and shared to social media in real-time.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online at BlavityInc.com/Careers.
Blavity is committed to creating a diverse environment free of discrimination and harassment, and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Blavity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, HIV Status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.