Akismet and b5media Update

Updated from Akismet and b5media.

Jeremy Wright, President of b5media, recently contacted me to let me know the inside scoop on their purchase of Akismet. Continuing b5media’s tradition of being very transparent about their business moves, Jeremy has given me the answers to all of my questions.

The reason b5media went and purchased a full commercial license (and yes, they are paying for it, this is not an advertising deal or partnership) is because they were unable to find an anti-spam plugin for WordPress that was able to deal with all of their spam issues. Recently, they were barraged with a spam outbreak that was taking their writers too much time and hassle to deal with and they decided that enough was enough, they needed something better. With all the positive reviews of Akismet floating around and the lack of other viable choices, they decided that it was worth the money to buy the license.

Having over 125 active blogs meant that financially it was only a few dollars a month per blog, making it very viable. Jeremy went as far as saying that it is a great “peace of mind” investment as long as Akismet keeps evolving and working. Which of course is part of the symbiotic relationship that Akismet is hoping to get with many commercial and enterprise groups.

Jeremy also lets me know that the adoption of Akismet was not a marketing tactic or a show of power, but just that it filled a need that they had and they were lucky enough that during this ad payment cycle they were able to afford it. Now they are working on the long process of getting it set up on each of the blogs, and it has so far taken them around four days to get to a 50% install base. They are hoping to have 95% of their transition away from other anti-spam plugins over to Akismet by Monday.

I still really feel that being able to purchase the license shows how far b5media has come as a blog network, and I am glad to see them giving back to the community, as further financial aid for Automattic and their products, will hopefully mean further development of Akismet, and thus even better spam prevention.

Categories: Blogging News, WordPress News

Comments

1. Aaron Brazell says: 6/2/2006

Trust me when I say that some blogs were getting 60 spam (tback and comment) an hour. It was very frustrating. Thanks to Jeremy and Matt M. for making it happen. I think about 90% of our blogs have it enabled at this point and the inboxes are back to normal. :)

2. Jeremy Wright says: 6/2/2006

David, thanks for the support. I’m not going to argue that purchasing something like this shows we’re serious about the business and our bloggers. I just wanted everyone to know it wasn’t part of our motivation. We just wanted to make our bloggers’ lives easier :)

3. Duncan says: 6/3/2006

I’d just add we did do our homework as well, I trialled Askimet for some time on a blog (with no ads, so as not to break the license) to see how it worked, I’m guessing 99.8% accruacy, every now and then (and I’d say maybe once every 30 days) it might let a peice or two through, but it’s the best option on the market at the moment. Also the service from Automattic has been first rate as well, Matt personally responded to a few of my questions, what more can you ask for than the president of a company who is willing to take the time out to help.

On the other stuff, Jeremy’s hit the mark, and thanks for your kind words David.

PS: I was the worst offender when it came to hassling Jeremy, I was finding I was spending up to 30 minutes a day deleting spam from my 3 b5media blogs, and I am far from being the biggest author in b5. It’s a step that makes life easier for our bloggers, and in that regards its worth every cent.

4. Darren says: 6/3/2006

Askimet is stopped close to 800 spam comments in the first hour after I activated it at ProBlogger – do you think I think it was worth the purchase??? :-)

5. adilibrahim says: 6/4/2006

So come check out my blog and take a look at the videos i posted…the only thing is that i dont know how to make them streaming videos of an ambulance ride. these AVI videos are great but take a little bit of time to load before they can be viewed…any suggestions?

6. David ) says: 6/5/2006

Duncan, I would expect nothing less, though I am sure the kudos you got from other people about the software made it an easy selection. Actually having ads on your site does not break their TOS. They only ask that if you make over $500 a month from your personal based site that you pay the $5 a month subscription fee for a problogger.

Hey Darren, I am glad you are happy with the purchase, and that you put your blogs under the b5media license. I am sort of surprised that you did not take it upon yourself to do this for your network of sites earlier.

7. aydin-aydin says: 9/18/2008

Patent, Marka Patent, Patent Ofisi, Patent Dirsek, Patent Office, Patent Tescil, Patent Burosu, www patent, Patent com, Patent Ofisim, Patent Tescili, marka patent tescil, patent alma, turk patent, tasarim tescili, tescil belgesi, tasarim tescil, marka tescil, marka tescil belgesi, marka tescili

8. Grafabrik says: 1/2/2009

web tasarımı, web tasarım , İstanbul web tasarımı, web sitesi tasarımı, internet sitesi tasarımı, internet sayfası tasarımı, web sayfası, web sitesi, profesyonel web tasarımı