WordPress 2.8 Released

Many people thought WordPress 2.8 would be released on June 10th, and only an hour and a half before the end of the day in EDT, my time zone, the button was pressed. WordPress 2.8 “Baker” is out.

2.8 represents a nice fit and finish release for WordPress with improvements to themes, widgets, taxonomies, and overall speed. We also fixed over 790 bugs.

I am looking forward to seeing what plugins and themes break with the new version, as well as what most people think of it. I just started playing around with the 2.8 Release Candidate One today, and so haven’t dived deep into what 2.8 offers, but many say that the improvements, rather than the new features are what makes this release so great.

What’s next? Well, Matt mentions it in the WordPress blog:

We’re already thinking hard about the next versions, 2.9 and 3.0. Keep an eye out for improved media handling, better dependency checking, versioning of templates and themes, and of course the fabled merging of WordPress and MU announced at WordCamp San Francisco two weeks ago.

Try out WordPress 2.8 and let me know what you think of it. I hope that this, unlike most releases, won’t “have” to have a point-one release to fix any glaring security errors.

Categories: Important, WordPress News

Comments

1. Todd says: 6/10/2009

From some people who are working with wordpress 2.8 already, I am hearing of many popular plugins not working (yarp being one of my favs that doesn’t work.) This is par for the course with any wordpress update. I’ll probably hang back for a couple months and let things settle before upgrading.

2. gestroud says: 6/11/2009

I stopped getting excited about new WP releases a while ago. Too many sites had stopped working because of plugin incompatibliities. Definitely not WordPress’ fault, but I think I’ll wait a month or two.

3. San Diego Web Design says: 6/15/2009

I too upgraded a couple days agon, and despite a few minor changes I already noticed, I can’t find any ‘big’ improvements. But I love WP and may be I’ll find out after a while. All my plug-ins are still working – that’s always the big challenge, but this upgrade it went smooth. I wished they had made major improvements on how to better categorize and edit pages and posts (I always have to install plugins to easily drag and drop my posts and pages in the menu) but for me, WP is still the easiest to use and the best out there, and I use it for all the websites I’m currently doing.

4. TexasCowboy says: 8/23/2009

I’ve been using the Quadruple theme for about a year, the 2.8.4 upgrade broke this theme. After contacting my hosting company, Bluehost, they told they’d received severals calls about broken themes with this upgrade. I had to revert back to 2.8.3, unfortunately leaving me vulnerable to the security issue.

5. James says: 9/28/2009

I have just upgrade my wordpress and ı am really like new features. But ı see permalinks error within 2.8.4 :S.

6. mktanny says: 10/10/2009

hey james thanks i got the glich and now its working perfectly-http://what-what.net/2009/10/how-bloggers-can-save-this-world/ check this out please may be it cud help us all bloggers in the long run.
    Regards-mktanny

7. laser hair removal in lancaster pa says: 2/25/2012

Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. Thanks for sharing.